Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sharing Thanksgiving at Helen's house



Here are the sports fans enjoying a football game after lunch.  This picture should have been last and the last, first.  I'm too lazy to change them around;)  I think we counted 24 people there for lunch.  If the rest of our clan could have been there we would have had 30.


My sister, Allene, and Helen's girls, Barbara and Donna, looking at a gazillion of Barbara's vacation pictures she made out West while visiting several National parks, including Glacier National Park.  Barbara is a medical doctor and Donna is a home health physical therapist.


Our grandson, Jackson, enjoyed climbing on the roots of this huge oak tree.  He stood there and sang a Thanksgiving song he learned at day care.  I think it's to the tune of "Are you sleeping, are you sleeping, brother John?"  ♫ "Mr. Turkey, Mr. Turkey, Run away, Run away. ♪ If you are not careful, you will be a mouthful,  ♫ on Thanksgiving Day,  on Thanksgiving Day ♪!"  I wish I hadn't lost or deleted the video I made of him singing this!


This is Jackson's Mom, Jennifer.  She entertained us for two hours with her singing and playing at Aromas Cafe in Columbus on Friday night after Thanksgiving.  The room was full and a good time was had by all.  A furnished playroom for the children was very helpfull!


In all fairness, this is Jennifer's husband, Bryan.   I think he wants to play football with Jackson;-)


This area included home canned greened beans, peas, creamed corn, mac and cheese, sweet potato casserole and bread and butter.  We had sweet tea, peach tea, and cokes, etc. to drink.  I didn't even get a picture of the dessert table! Suffice it to say, there was plenty!  I remember a chocolate cake, chocolate chip bars, strawberry-cheesecake pies and more!


Just past the corn on the cob was a dish of delicious oven roasted mixed veggies, which were super good.  I have to try that sometime.  It included cauliflower and broccoli flowerettes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, red onion, squash and I can't remember what else.  She said use any veggies you like, sprinkle with olive oil and seasoned salt and roast on a cookie sheet until done.  What could be more healthful or simple?


Corn salad, marinated bean salad, broccoli-cauliflower salad and fresh veggies with dip are on this bar.


The meats were: a turkey breast, a honey baked spiral-cut ham and a barbecued Boston Butt.  All were good, but I heard more raves over the Boston Butt.  There were three different cranberry relishes.


This touch of the Christmas season was in the living room.


Helen had this table set in the formal dining space and not a soul ate there!! Lots of folks opted to enjoy the perfect Fall weather while eating outside.  Other tables were set in the breakfast area and the den.


Mutt and Jeff!  Well, it's really my grandson, Jesse and my nephew Steve's wife, Cheryl.  Jesse is 6 feet tall and Cheryl is below 5 feet tall :)  Cheryl's grandson, Nathan, is in the foreground.


Mums in a wicker turkey basket.


Cardboard turkey hanging over a doorway.


Many of you know my son, Joe.  He is doing well.  He and his family got back from a Smoky Mountain vacation just in time for this Thanksgiving day.

 
This picture should have been first.  It's Dr. Barbara starting to uncover the food!  Barbara is my sister Helen's oldest child.
I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.  We sure have a lot to be thankful for!

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Marie said...

Oh, your Thanksgiving feast looks as yummy and enormous as ours was! Good times with family...special blessings!

Betsy Adams said...

Wow---what a great time you all had... Such a wonderful family. I know you were thrilled to have so many of them there this year. Did everyone contribute to that meal???? Wow---that looked incredible... Not sure where I would start... YUM....

That is what Thanksgiving is all about: Family, Food, and FUN.....

Hugs,
Betsy

Maple Lane said...

Dorothy, Thanks for sharing these lovely holiday photos. So nice to see Joe. I love Jackson standing by the big tree!

Mary said...

Many blessings indeed! What a wonderful day for you. Joe looks real good! Family makes any day better than any other day.

W. Latane Barton said...

The food is amazing.... I am getting hungry.... think I will go in the kitchen and make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The turkey and all the fixings is gone around here. Oh well.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Your Thanksgiving feast looked delicious. You have a wonderful family. I'm so glad you had a great time and could get together. The photos are so lovely. I'm glad Joe is doing well. You have a beautiful family.

Daisy said...

Dorothy, that was quite a feast!! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Great pictures. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Jedidja said...

Ah, what a wonderful family pics. I love it.