Have you guessed it? I'm now a great-grandmother!!! Sweet little Maggie Leigh arrived from Heaven on May 29th. Here she is 6 weeks old.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Winter Birds

These pictures were made about two years ago when we got several inches of snow.  I guess I just keep hoping we will get snow again this year.


The male Cardinal is so beautiful in winter!

This Dark-eyed Junco decided he would be a Tree Topper for our discarded Christmas tree.


The Goldfinch are not intimidated by the Cardinals, but you can tell that they are not welcome.

The Pine Warbler comes to peck at the suet on the tree.

I like to see the Cardinals in the snow.

We don't have many Blue Jays, but the snow brought them out for a free meal.

Female Cardinal's feathers look so soft and fluffy.

This Blue Jay looks a little mean, don't you think?

There's a female Cardinal, a Chipping Sparrow, a Dark-eyed Junco and I think I see a goldfinch.



Three couples !



Four Couples!

The birds like to perch on the limbs before they go down to the feeders.

I hope you are enjoying your backyard birds.
Still hoping we get snow this winter, so I get to see more of these beauties :) 

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh my goodness. SO many beautiful birds in one place. THose Cardinals really stand out in the snow.

Betsy Adams said...

Beautiful, Dorothy... I've never seen that many Cardinals in one place at one time like that. I do know that when it snows, the birds flock to the feeders... I'm like you---I hope we get some snow SOMETIME this winter.... ha

Hugs,
Betsy

Daisy said...

Such pretty photos of your backyard birds, Dorothy! It's amazing to see so many cardinals together in one place like that.

Southern Lady said...

So beautiful, Dorothy ... all those cardinals remind me of Fannie Flagg's book, "A Redbird Christmas." If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

I hope we get some snow this year, too. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, Dorothy, these photos are splendid. I love all of them. I just wish we could get some cardinals around our house. I love those the best of all. Awesome posting!

sweetbay said...

You always take great bird pictures. These are beautiful.

Mary said...

Wow...the cardinal photos are wonderful! I've always wanted to capture a photo of a whole bunch in a tree like that, but mine aren't that accommodating :-) They spread out all over the place. They are always their prettiest in the winter. The snow really brings out every birds around!